Friday, March 5, 2010

Cool Runnings

Running outside, it's way different from a treadmill. I did it for the first time this morning. My runner friends told me that I should run outside a few times before the 5k next weekend (next weekend! eek!). So I did. I had mapped out my route last week before my sister came, and today was the first chance I had to try it out. I got a little lost. I'm not too worried about that happening at the race, because I can follow people pretty well, but my own little route ended up being about 3k instead.

There were two main differences I found with running outside. The first was that you didn't have the treadmill to pace you. I think I always ran too fast at first then found my groove. But I always started walking fairly quickly after. It was partly not knowing my route, partly because I hadn't run for a few days, and partly mental. The second thing that was weird? People actually do look at you. Unlike at the gym where everyone is in their own zone and most of the time no one is facing you, when you're running outside (in a major city on a main route) there are always people walking opposite you, people hanging out in the grass with their dogs, people sitting on benches. Lots of people. For me, it was a bit of stage fright that I'm going to have to get over.

There are some things that I know I'll love about running outside too, though. It's not all bad. Like the wind; my gym has fans on it's treadmills, but they're nothing like actually feeling the wind blow. The scenery is also great. It's fun to see things change as you go. And then there's actually getting somewhere. There's something to be said for a destination.

Overall, I may not be willing to give up the treadmill just yet, but I definitely want to spend a lot more time running outside.

0 comments: