Tuesday, March 9, 2010

One Foot in Front of the Other

I never thought I would be a runner. I've never had any desire to run. Even when I was fit before running didn't cross my mind. I've had bad knees and a bad back and I really just thought that everything would hurt if I ran. How wrong I was! I am really starting to enjoy running (I wouldn't say love yet...we're dating). I feel like it's the easiest way to see how much your health is improving over short amounts of time. The first time I ran it was for 5 minutes at 4.5 (and I thought I might die). Today I finished a 5k in under 40 minutes (and I thought I might die). To know that my body is really getting that much better in only a few weeks is amazing. I can't wait to see how much stronger I get. I told my friend that I would run one of her runs (45-60 mins) with her before the end of May. Setting fitness goals for me is the most motivating way to stay active.

Speaking of running... The way I see it, there are 3 main ways that it can go down on Saturday:

1) I run the 5k somewhere between 38 and 44 minutes like I have in training
2) I get freaked out by all the people and end up walking it in 75 minutes
3) I feed off of other people's adrenaline and finish in 33 minutes

I'm aiming for #1, but I won't be disappointed with #3. No matter what, #2 will not happen. I have a plan to run for 2 songs on my running playlist (about 9 minutes) and walk for a minute. I think it's pretty solid, but we shall find out! I'm struggling a little with taking days off because I want to train as much as I can, but after running 2 days in a row this weekend, I realize that the day off is there for a reason. So, tomorrow is a day off and Thursday is my 'last chance workout' before the race. I'm ready for it!!

0 comments: