Wednesday, April 21, 2010

Weigh-In, a Pattern and Dress Sizes

Today was my weigh in, and I knew it wasn't going to be in my favour. Luckily I didn't gain, but I maintained. I think it's a little odd that I haven't gained once so far. Like how bad was I living for the past year that I managed to gain 56 pounds when in the past 4 months I haven't gained anything. I know it was bad. Never walking anywhere, eating out tonnes and not thinking about what I was eating, and snacking a lot more often and unhealthily than I needed to. Glad that's over with.

Anyway, my weight this week was the exact same as last week. At some point during the week I made this observation while looking at my weights over this journey - for the past 3 months (not counting January) I've had one week of weight loss, two weeks of maintaining, and one week of weight loss. So although I was able to attribute my maintains for the most part to poorer eating habits, I'm going to go ahead and guess that it has something to do with TOM. And next month, I'm going to try to nip it in the bud. I definitely noticed that I had a lot of cravings this week, so that's probably where that comes from.

I'm looking forward to a stellar week next week. I now have 10 days until my brother's wedding on May 1. I plan to eat only whole, natural foods starting on Friday (I have leftover soup at work for tomorrow that I don't want to waste, and I still have to do some grocery shopping) so that I can make sure I'm not getting too much sodium. It's amazing how much sodium almost every processed food has in it. Anyway, I'm planning to spend a lot of time on Friday putting together meals for the week because I'm working extra next week to make up for the 2 weeks I'll have mostly off. I fly home on Friday April 30, and get in at about 10PM.

I also don't have a dress yet, so I'm going shopping on Saturday morning for one. This is quite the risky business. I was looking online at dress sizes, and since I know my measurements, I was hoping that I could figure out what size of dress I should try on. Well I found all different sites with all different sizes. My waist is really the clincher; while it has gotten more proportionate, it is still the outlier in terms of the ratio to my chest and hips. So I look at the size that I should be in based on my waist. And some say size 18 while others say size 12. What's that all about? Well I looked a little bit deeper into it, and found out about vanity sizing. This term refers to sizes actually getting bigger over time so that people don't feel so big (e.g. even though I should be wearing a size 16 based on my waist size, now size 12s will fit me). I don't know about you guys, but this doesn't actually make me feel any better. So I am no longer deciding how healthy/fit I am based on the size of clothes that I fit into, because it means nothing. Instead, when I go shopping for my dress, I will try on dresses in whatever size fits me best, and not be ashamed to buy a size 16 if that's what looks best. Trying to fit myself into smaller clothes does nothing for me. I will wear what looks good on me and be happy about it.

1 comments:

ImperfectAnna said...

I just want to let you know, that you are such a inspiration to me. Whenever I think I just can't do it, your blog is always positive and relateable. I was using your treadmill spreadsheet for myself, but I can only last about 4 minutes! Hopefully, in time, I will get better.