Tuesday, April 20, 2010

Yummy Lentil Sloppy Joes

I am a huge fan of sloppy joes, but I haven't had them since I stopped eating meat. I usually like recipes that don't include veggie-meat products, and so I haven't made them with tvp or veggie ground. When I was home at Christmas my mom made me sloppy joes with eggplant, but I figured there should probably be a pretty good recipe with beans. I did some searching and put together a recipe based on a few that I found online. Unfortunately I forgot to take a picture, so I'll have to take one next time I make them (they were good, so I'm sure I'll make them again soon).

Alright, so the recipe is:

1 tbsp olive oil
1 medium onion
7 medium mushrooms
1.5 cup lentils
1 cup ketchup
1tbsp mustard
1 tbsp relish
Whole Wheat rolls

Sautee the onion and mushrooms in the olive oil over medium heat. Once they are lightly browned, add the lentils (I used canned but you could also use dried). Stir in the ketchup, mustard and relish and cook until cooked (about 5 minutes). Serve open faced over a whole wheat roll. Makes 4 servings. Calories per serving = 470.

Enjoy!

0 comments: