Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Carrying Weight the Unhealthy Way

They say that carrying your weight in your midsection (particularly your stomach) is really unhealthy. I think it's really useful that 'they' say that. Because I've been foolishly carrying my weight there my whole life. But now that I know, I can look at my body and say "Excuse me, could you please distribute yourself in a more proportional manner? You're increasing my risk of developing metabolic disease". Except I'm pretty sure it won't listen.



I have always carried my weight around my midsection. I've actually been asked if I was pregnant on a number of occasions (I almost like being asked because the look on the other person's face when you tell them you're not is pretty priceless). I find it interesting that on Canadian weight loss shows like last 10 pounds bootcamp and x weighted people with body types like mine are rarely the subjects.


When I was losing weight I generally evaluated my success by looking at my side view. I thought this picture would be a good one to look at over the next weeks and months to see how I'm doing. For the record I started with a 45" waist and after 1 week I had lost 1 inch. I'm happy with that progression.

As you may have noticed my legs aren't really proportionate with my body, and neither are my arms. It's not that I like do all kinds of leg and arm exercises and leave my belly to rest. For some reason this is just how my body is made up. I think it contributes to the pregnancy thing. I took this picture of my arm flexing. While I love watching my arms get toned (it happens much faster than anything else), if my arm stayed this size I wouldn't complain.



So I'm interested to know - where do you carry your weight?

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's great to have pics to look back on so you will be able to see how far you have come on your weight loss journey! You can do it! I carry weight mostly in my hips and too bad we can't pick and choose where to lose the weight from!

Anonymous said...

I carry my weight in my boobs and in my pannus (the area under the belly button, but above the pubic bone). It's annoying, especially in the boobage dept. I've lost a lot of weight and I'm the same cup size as when I started.

Sophie said...

Just popped over from the healthy you challenge. Think I carry my weight mostly on stomach and thighs and chin!

Anonymous said...

I carry my weight in the stomach too. It's quite stubborn to get rid of.
Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Chibi said...

I used to carry it relatively proportionately. Unfortunately, after a three-month bout of stress-induced insomnia, I gained about 30lbs, almost ALL of it in my belly. I've always been pear-shaped (as are the rest of the females in my family), so this extra pillow on my midsection is hard to wrap my head around.

Welcome to the Healthy You Challenge! I'm on (in? lol) the Lower Mainland, too. :)