Sunday, January 17, 2010

What Happened?

About four and a half years ago I was this weight (well, to be absolutely correct, my max was 200 pounds so I'm a little heavier this time around). I started losing - 25 pounds first, then, ever so slowly, more and more until I settled around 150 pounds. I was fit - as athletic as I'd ever been, I was happy, and I felt great. I kept the weight off completely for about 2 years.

In August 2008 I moved from my home town in Ontario to Vancouver to pursue a Master's degree. I was excited - I thought I was going to be even more fit when I came home. I knew about the active lifestyle in Vancouver, and how Vancouverites are the fittest Canadians. I thought I was going to be one of them.  But as soon as I got here I started gaining weight. And in 12 months I was back up to my heaviest weight.

I can't really say why I gained so much weight so quickly. I guess it's a combination of things. School has been stressful, and I've been working a lot to pay for it (3 jobs most of the time). Without a lot of time on my hands I find myself buying takeout pretty often, and without much disposable income it's hard to make healthy choices. I also REALLY  love beer. And Vancouver is known for it's amazing mircobreweries. Pub time is when my friends and I get to vent, share ideas, and it's where we've become the closeknit group that we are today. But it's definitely not good for my waistline.

So, the challenge now...I'm done my classes and work has slowed down. I'm also at the limit of what I'm willing to gain (my highest weight - last week - was 206 pounds). I've been supporting my local gym for about 7 months, and I'm ready to cash in on that investment. I'm going to lose this weight. I'm not setting a precise goal weight. I want to be healthy and fit. I want to be able to walk up the 6 flights of stairs to my apartment without breaking a sweat or losing my breath. I want to be active every day. I want this to happen by May 1, 2010.

Those are my goals, and this is my journey.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

Welcome to the Healthy You Challenge! (It's always nice to find another Canadian weight-loss blogger too)

You can do it - you did it before, you'll do it again. Best of luck!