Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Protein

I don't think I've mentioned it here yet, but I don't eat meat. I do eat fish. I chose to stop eating meat a few years ago for health reasons. Well, actually I'd only BEEN eating meat at that point for about 5 years. When I was growing up I didn't like the taste so I just didn't eat it (I can remember my parents freaking out while I sat at the dinner table and refused to eat a really nice steak as a child...they just couldn't understand...). When I decided to make the switch again I went to see a nutritionist and she was the one that suggested that I keep the fish in for protein. I like fish, so that wasn't really a big deal. I generally eat some kind of seafood once or twice a week now.

Anyway, this week I signed on to spark people and I've been tracking my nutritional intake. Every day it tells me that I don't eat enough protein. I struggle with this because I've read articles that say that we don't need as much protein as most experts say we do, and with so many conflicting opinions I don't know who to believe. Anyway, I figure I can try to reach the minimum recommended protein per day and I'll probably be okay. In order to do this, though, I basically need to double my regular protein intake. I remembered that my bf has some protein powder in the cupboard (a giant costco-sized container that he will probably never run out of). So I had some today. I've used protein powder in the past, and I really don't mind it as much as some people seem to. But I'm curious...Do others use it? What do you think of it?

2 comments:

MargieAnne said...

Hi via HYC.

I am at my best when I begin the day with a protein powder smoothie for breakfast. My recipe is a handful of frozen berries, 1/2 cup milk, good scoop powder and about 1/8 cup plain thick yoghurt. I usually add water and if the weather is warm, ice. I use whey powder so very high in dairy and not suitable for anyone lactose intolerant.

I also have a couple of eggs once or twice a week. At present my favourite way is hard boiled with crisp lettuce, light sprinkle salt and lots of fresh ground pepper.

All the best as you learn what works for you. Blessings

Sewn With Grace said...

Stopping by from SITS today, happy Wednesday! I'm certain you will achieve your weight loss goals, I wish I had your determination!