Sunday, February 21, 2010

More on the 5k

It may seem out of the blue that I signed up for a 5k, but it is the result of a lot of thoughtful consideration. Before January when I started training for the torch relay I had never run before. I mean, I'd run - when I was trying to catch the bus, in a joke race with a friend, and in grade school when they made all of the soccer players train with the cross country team (a direct contributor to me not trying out for the high school team); but I'd never purposefully run. While I was training, though, I really started to enjoy pushing myself and seeing what I could do and how much better and easier it felt every time I went to the gym. I started thinking that I didn't really want this experience to end with the torch relay, so I looked up some different race options. I'm planning to leave Vancouver in May, so I figured I might as well get one done here before then, especially since it's known for it's outdoorsiness and beauty. That's why I signed up for the St. Patrick's Day race on March 13.

I also started to look at some races back home in Ontario. I found a race that's about 2 weeks before my mom's 50th birthday in May. She has always been active and enjoys challenging herself as well, so I called her and proposed that we do it together. She is so excited and it makes me even more pumped about it. My mom and I have never really worked out together, and I'm looking forward to sharing this with her. I also know that she will LOVE to tell all of her friends about her accomplishment at her birthday party, which happens to be the next day.

So that's a little more info. I did run on the treadmill today, but didn't do the whole 5k. I really pushed myself on a bike yesterday and was feeling the pain today. I usually finish about  2.25 miles in 30 minutes, and 5k is 3.1 miles. I'm looking forward to getting there next time!

0 comments: