Monday, February 1, 2010

Whole Wheat Pizza Crust

Happy Monday. Thank goodness that's over with.

I'm posting a pizza crust recipe that I love. I first made it about six months ago after my coworker gave it to me quite a while before that. I was afraid to cook with yeast. Once I got over it I realized it's actually pretty easy and this recipe is definitely tasty. I'm not a great cook, so sometimes it turns out crunchy and sometimes it's soft. Not really sure what I do differently, but it tastes great either way. I usually cut mine into 12 slices and have 2 in a meal. The crust itself is 199 calories for 2 slices...then you can get creative with what you put on it.

 

Pizza Crust Recipe:

1 cup warm water
1 tbsp sugar
1 tbsp yeast
1/4 cup oil
1 tsp salt
3 1/2 cup flour
Proof the yeast in warm water with sugar (I use brown because that's what I have...it works...). Let sit for about 10 minutes.

Add in oil and salt and about 2 cups of flour. Knead the dough and add more flower until it's no longer sticky. Let sit for about 10 more minutes covered (I put it in a bowl with a towel over top).

Roll out and put on whatever surface you're baking it on. Top with your favourite toppings and bake in a preheated oven at about 350 degrees. How long you bake it depends on the topping, but I usually check it at 15 and 20 minutes. When the crust is golden and cheese (if any) is melted it's ready.

The toppings on my pizza were pizza sauce (100 mls), roasted red peppers (1 slice, about half a pepper), artichoke hearts (4 hearts) and feta cheese (half a cup). It's a pretty delicious combo and altogether is 281 calories. Serve it with a salad or some fruit and it's a pretty great meal.

0 comments: