Friday, February 26, 2010

At-Home Workout

My sister and I are going to visit my aunt and uncle today, and we have to leave really soon so I didn't have time to go to the gym first. I wanted to do something, though, so I decided I would do some kind of at-home workout while my laundry was in the dryer. With my sister in the living room it's hard to really do anything in my apartment, so I took a lesson from the bitch cakes manual and headed for the stairs. I knew doing all 30 flights in my building at once would be setting myself up for failure, so I decided to go from the basement to my floor and repeat that (8 flights each). I had about 30 minutes, and my goal was to do 8 sets, or 64 flights.

In the style of bitch cakes (although not nearly as glamorous), I took a before and after photo of myself:

 
That's me before (remember it's pretty early in the morning here). And here is me after completing 4 sets of stairs. I did the 4 sets (32 flights total) in about 15 minutes, almost died from leg muscles that I didn't know existed being in pain and not being able to catch my breath for the life of me, so I stopped. I had to push myself to do the last 2 sets, let alone 4 more after that. Anyway, here I am (after chugging water like I had just been in a desert).


Sorry for the poor quality all I've got is a camera phone. Anyway, I now have something to work up to. I'm also amazed by the fact that I didn't see anyone in the stairwell. There are hundreds of people in my building, and no one takes the stairs? Happy Friday everyone!

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

I've been meaning to try a "Bitch Cakes" style stairs workout for awhile now. I think it would be (mentally) easier than doing it on a stair climber at the gym.

Now I just need to find an apartment building to do this in....