Saturday, February 20, 2010

Standing Still (but not for long)

Well, for the second week in a row my weight loss has been at a standstill. Although this week I also did not lose any inches. I can't say I'm not disappointed, but I know why it's happened and I know that I can make it better. One of the ways - I signed up for a 5K. It's really soon (March 13). Probably too soon, but before I registered I looked at the results from last year, and it's truly a walk/run. The fastest time was just over 15 minutes, and the slowest was about an hour and a half. I'm pretty confident that I can finish somewhere in between. Right now I'm running 17.5 out of 30 minutes on the treadmill. I'm going to start spending more time on the treadmill so that I can finish the 5k every time, and hopefully improve my time every time. One of my coworkers also suggested that I do some running outside because apparently it's way different than running inside. We're going to go for a little run on Monday at work.

On that note, while I didn't lose inches/pounds this week, I did have some wins that I want to mention:

1) I took the stairs while walking to the skytrain with my coworker who is also a personal trainer. A few weeks ago she took the stairs and I rode beside her on the escalator. This time, when we got to the top, I wasn't even out of breath (although she was a little).

2) I tracked my food and physical activity every day. I think this is really important because even on the days when it was out of my control (from volunteering at the Olympics), I was able to take more control by acknowledging what I ate and staying aware.

3) I got active every day last week. No matter what, I walked for a minimum of an hour every day. Even if I didn't see the results as a loss on the scale, I did see them as not a gain. This is definitely a good thing.

4) I didn't quit. Even though this is my second week with no change, and things have been hard and stressful, I'm still here. I'm still doing this. I'm not saying "ahh, time for some fast food and better luck next time". I'm saying "time to buckle down and fix what I'm doing wrong to make me successful this time". This is a big one for me.

1 comments:

Keelie said...

Yea for signing up for a 5K. I haven't gotten up the courage yet!

Not quitting is a HUGE victory! Keep it up!

Keelie