Wednesday, February 17, 2010

Yogahhhh...

I feel a million times better today. Immediately following my rant yesterday I pulled out my yoga mat, put on a DVD and did an hour of yoga. When I was my most fit I used to practice yoga every day. I've struggled with a bad back since I was a teenager and it really helped. The DVD I have is called Yoga Conditioning for Weight Loss. It has 4 different modification options, 3 different sections, and overall I'm a huge fan.

I bought the DVD years and years ago before I lost weight the first time. I tried it once, didn't make it through it and decided it wasn't for me. Then, after I lost weight a friend of mine kept trying to convince me to go to a class with her at a local studio. I repeatedly said no. Eventually she guilt tripped me into it (she had just gone through a breakup and didn't want to go to class alone) and I went. I was really worried because I tend to laugh when I'm nervous, when I don't know what to do, just laugh pretty often in general. But the class started and I loved it. Then, near the end, we were doing bridge pose:
 
It's pretty much common knowledge in the yoga world that you can't turn your head when you're in this position. I didn't know this, and turned my head to my friend and started talking. The teacher came by and straightened my head with her hands. Ahh - my worst nightmare had come true! It was near the end of the class, and I decided I was going to do everything right from then on. 

But right before relaxation pose, the teacher said "blah blah blah blah blah put your hand on your belly". I somehow missed the first part. My eyes were closed, and I obediently put my hand on my belly. A couple of minutes later, I felt a whoosh and there was a blanket on top of me. I slowly opened one eye and looked around. NOBODY else had a blanket. What did this mean? Was I in trouble? Did I have some special responsibility I didn't know about? I had all kinds of thoughts running through my head. Then I thought "blah blah blah blah blah put your hand on your belly" ~ "if you want a blanket, put your hand on your belly". I started laughing uncontrollably. Luckily I'm a girl guide and had to learn to hide my laughter from leaders sitting outside my tent as a kid, so it was silent laughter. But my chin was quivering and I had tears streaming down my face. When class was finally over my friend looked at me and had no idea why I was crying. I ended up joining that studio, but I never put my hand on my belly again.

0 comments: